Slow Cooker Black Bean Chilli Beef served with cauliflower egg fried rice, is one of my favourite dishes not only is it healthy and delicious, but Scott (my husband) cooks it!!! Yah, NIGHT OFF COOKING FOR ME!!!
It’s his go to dish whenever he cooks, yes, I am very lucky he does cook from time to time, and hopefully you can get YOUR partner to cook it for you!!!
I like to add a few cups of my favourite vegetables such as broccoli, red capsicum, and baby spinach or kale towards the end of cooking, this just ups the nutritional value of the meal, which I am ALWAYS trying to do.
Notes – you can buy more expensive cuts of steak such as rump and turn the recipe into a stir fry it if you want, rather than using a slow cooker.
- Himalayan salt and ground black pepper
- 230g of beef (skirt or topside or any casserole beef cut)
- 1 x thumb size piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 spring onions
- small bunch of fresh coriander
- ½ a fresh chilli
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon peanut oil or other nut oil
- 2 tablespoons of sugar free black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1-2 cups of your favourite vegetables (see post for examples)
- 1 egg
- ½ large cauliflower
- Trim any excess fat of the steak and cut into cubes
- peel and slice finely the ginger and crush garlic
- slice the chilli and remove any seeds
- finely slice spring onions
- Finely chop the coriander stalks and put the leaves to one side for use later to garnish
- Put all the above ingredients into the slow cooker and then add the sesame oil and black bean sauce and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and mix everything together.
- Add vegetables (if using) towards the end of cooking to retain nutrients
- Turn slow cooker on and leave to cook for 6-8 hours.
- Once cooked taste and season with black pepper and add more soy sauce if required.
- Cauliflower RICE
- Using a food processor, process cauliflower until it resembles grains of rice.
- Heat a large fry pan or wok and add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl it around.
- Crack in the egg and add a tablespoon of soy sauce, stir until egg is scrambled.
- Once scrambled add in the cauliflower rice and stir until all mixed together. Keep mixing for a few minutes until the rice is hot and taste and season with a little soy sauce if required.
- Put rice in bowls and spoon over the black bean chilli beef and then add the coriander leaves on top.