Slow Cooker Beef Casserole is delicious on a cold winters night, the beef becomes meltingly tender and the gravy so rich and delicious, and the wonderful smells that greet you as you walk in the door are mouth-watering.
Slow cookers are the most wonderful invention, they can transform a cheap cut of meat into something so delicious and tender and not to mention the ability to get everything organised in the morning (or the night before) switching it on and at the end of the day you have a delicious meal waiting for you, with hardly any dishes to have to worry about.
I like to add in a selection of whatever vegetables I have available, to the casserole, such as sweet potato spinach/silver beet courgette etc, obviously add the faster cooking vegetables towards the end of your cooking time.
Delicious served with mashed pumpkin or cauliflower mash.
Try these other delicious slow cooker recipes Slow Cooker Black Bean Chilli Beef or Slow Cooker Malaysian Beef Curry
- 400-500 grams stewing beef (I like, skirt steak, topside)
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of red wine
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
- ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 cups of beef or chicken stock/broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of chopped vegetables of your choice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup corn pieces (fresh, frozen or canned)
- Corn flour/arrowroot to thicken
- Brown beef in fry pan then add to slow cooker
- cook onion and garlic in the same fry pan until clear and slightly brown - add to slow cooker
- Chop vegetables into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker apart from the corn and cornflour/arrowroot
- Turn slow cooker onto low and cook for 7-8 hours
- minutes before serving add the corn and cornflour or arrowroot and follow the directions on the packet to thicken. thicken to your desired consistency