Hearty Beef & Vegetable Stew, it’s that time of the year again, the leaves are starting to fall and the days are getting shorter and colder…….time to get out the great invention, the Slow Cooker!
I love my slow cooker it has served me well in the last 10 years (Yes probably ready to give up the ghost soon!!!!) through the baby years with my two beautiful children, through a 9 month house renovation (yip, NO PROPER KITCHEN!!! through WINTER!!! with 2 young children!!!!! Were we INSANE!!!, just my slow cooker and plug-in cooking rings!!! arghhhhhhh.
But that is a distant memory now and today is forecast for thunder, rain & high winds……. lovely!!!!! Just the night for a yummy hearty beef & vegetable stew.
I do love beef or lamb stew/casseroles and the slow cooker does the most fantastic job of taking a cut of meat from being pretty average, to melt in your mouth tender. The flavours have all day to develop and mingle to create something so rich and delicious, you just can’t go wrong.
The other thing I love about using my slow cooker is that all the prep in done in the morning and come dinner time you really don’t have much to do , great for those days when you are super busy and wont have time later in the day.
Try these other delicious slow cooker recipes Slow Cooker Black Bean Chilli Beef or Slow Cooker Beef Casserole or Slow Cooker Malaysian Beef Curry.
HEARTY BEEF & VEGETABLE STEW
- 400 - 500 grams beef steak for stewing
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 rashers of bacon
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- ½ Cup white wine
- 3 cups beef broth or stock
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or paste, or even tomato relish
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of greens of your choice ( I love adding kale,spinach, silverbeet,) but what ever you prefer
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs or fresh if you have them
- Cornflour or Arrowroot to thicken
- Brown beef in fry pan then add to slow cooker
- cook onion, garlic and bacon in the same fry pan (saves dishes) until clear and slightly brown - add to slow cooker
- Chop carrots and sweet potato into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker apart from the greens and cornflour/arrowroot
- Turn slow cooker onto low and cook for 7-8 hours
- ten minutes before serving add the cornflour or arrowroot following the directions on the packet to thicken. thicken to your desired consistency
- ten minutes before you serve, stir in your selection of greens
No Replies to "Hearty Beef & Vegetable Stew"