These raw healthy energy balls are sugar free and packed full of protein and nutrition, from all the wonderful ingredients, such as chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, almonds cocoa, peanut butter and coconut oil, these little balls certainly pack a delicious nutritional punch and perfect as a guilt free snack anytime.
We don’t normally use dried fruits, but we have only used three medjool dates and 4 prunes which is not a lot and for me the healthy benefits that these fruits offer outweigh the fructose, including their ability to relieve constipation, provide antioxidant protection, prevent pre-mature aging, promote cardiovascular health, and reduce the risk of cancer and osteoporosis.
I still feel it is necessary to make sure we only consume the bare minimum and the amount in this recipe is more than enough, you can also reduce the amount if required.
Chia seeds may be tiny but they are among the most nutritious foods on the planet. Due to being packed full of protein, Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, various micronutrients and antioxidants.
Therefore, I try to incorporate these tiny little nutritional powerhouses into many things we eat, such as Chia Raspberry Mousse , Homemade Muesli or chia seed jams, which are great mixed with natural yoghurt as a healthy sugar free breakfast or snack anytime you feel you need a bit more!
To make this recipe even quicker, just line a slice tin and press the mixture into the tin at your desired thickness, refrigerate then slice into bars. These would make a fabulous on the go breakfast bar!!
These healthy energy balls are so quick and easy to whip up, I love that they are no bake and that everything is done in the food processor, less dishes!!!!!
If you are after something a bit more decadent try these, not so healthy, but divine Chocolate Bliss Balls
Feel free to substitute the peanut butter for any nut butter or coconut butter, they will taste a little different but equally delicious.
- 3 medjool dates
- 4 prunes
- ½ cup whole almonds
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- ½ Cup + 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1½ tablespoons sugar free peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 4 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Soak chia seeds in 4 tablespoons of water and set aside
- place almonds, cocoa, coconut, dates, prunes, peanut butter,melted coconut oil and seeds in the food processor bowl
- blend on high speed until everything is finely chopped and sticking together
- add in chia seeds and water (if should be slightly jelly like)
- Blend again
- Form into balls or press into a slice tin and slice into bars and keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks