This Gooey Caramel Slice is very yummy and just a tad messy from the delicious gooey caramel.
Generally this type of slice is LOADED with refined sugar and sweetened condensed milk etc, not this slice, this delicious gooey caramel slice is actually much better for you as it contains no refined sugar or white flour. I won’t go as far as to say it’s good for you, but you can at least not feel so guilty while indulging in a slice.
The base is made from a yummy mix of almond and peanuts, which pair beautifully with the caramel and chocolate, it is similar to a snickers bar, minus all the nasty additives. Another bonus is that, other than the caramel, the rest of the slice is so quick and easy, plus it’s no bake!
Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup almonds
- ½ cup peanuts
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoons butter (melted) (or use more coconut oil)
- ¾ cup caramel (see post for link to homemade caramel sauce)
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 70 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum, we use 90%)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons powdered glucose (we use/recommend) OPTIONAL
- Line a loaf tin with grease proof/parchment paper
- Place peanuts, almonds,extract,coconut oil and butter if using and process until nuts are finely ground and starting to stick together
- Add coconut flour and stir until a soft dough forms (add more coconut flour if necessary)
- press mixture into prepared loaf tin
- spread caramel evenly over base and scatter over peanuts and place in the freezer
- Melt chocolate and oil in a small heat proof bowl over a gently boiling pot of water, make sure water is NOT touching bottom of bowl
- Stir to thoroughly combine
- Spread chocolate over caramel and place in the freezer or refrigerator until chocolate has set (30 minutes)