Delicious Baked Chicken Wings with crunchy skin, moist juicy tender flesh coated in a yummy hot sauce finished off with the best blue cheese sauce! what’s not to love!
These baked chicken wings are so yummy and technically not too unhealthy as most of the fat is rendered off. They are crispy and oh so juicy inside.
When I first made these I was a little skeptical about the baking powder, and I watched them like a hawk to see if they were getting crispy…… They were perfect and just as good, if not better than we used to buy when we were living in Canada,and definitely tasted as good ( for me even better from the health aspect) as if they were deep fried.
The hot sauce is perfect for us and the blue cheese sauce is soooo good, we polished off a good fair share of them , and did not feel yucky after because of the absence of all that deep-frying!!
Most recipes call for the tip of the wing to be removed, after my first attempt to cut through the bone and a lot of mucking around, I decided to not bother and left the tip and I’m glad I did, more crunchy yumminess and a lot less hassle!!
These baked chicken wings have now become a firm favourite weekend meal, so yummy, but really quick and so little prep required for an outstanding result.
Please making sure to do the following to achieve the best wings Ever!!!
You need to coat in baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA) the baking powder draws moisture to the surface of the skin so it can evaporate, making the skin crisper and crunchy
Bake for 30 minutes on low heat to melt the fat and then finish off with a very hot oven to make the skin crunchy and crispy while retaining tender juicy meat.
- 25 Chicken wings
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan Salt
- Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce (we use Peri Peri)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 250F/120C.
- Take chicken wings out of package and leave them in the fridge (uncovered) for a few hours to dry out. if you don't have time, just use a paper towel to pat the wings dry.
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
- Line a baking tray with foil, then place a cookie rack on the foil. Spray the rack with oil spray.
- Place wings in a large bowl or in a plastic bag. Add the baking powder, garlic & onion powders and salt, then toss to coat evenly.
- Place the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up.
- Place wings on the lower middle oven rack and bake for 30 minutes at 120cC/250F
- after 30 minutes turn oven up to 425F/220C.
- Move chicken wings to the upper middle rack when you increase the temperature.
- Bake for 40 - 50 minutes at 425F/220C
- Toss wings in sauce of choice, then serve.
- Sauce : mix the 2 ingredients together and pour over chicken wings and toss until completely coated.