This chicken filo pie is such a great dinner or lunch. It is so quick and easy to throw together, but is so tasty, and it is delicious whether you have it hot or cold. Furthermore it’s such a great way to use up any leftover roast chicken.
I switch the vegetables around to suit what I have available, but any “greens” taste great and up the nutritional value of the meal, which I am always trying to do.
I really like using filo because it is so much lighter than traditional pastry and does not leave you with a heavy feeling in your stomach.
Try these spring rolls if you have left over filo pastry.
- 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300 grams pre cooked chicken (we use precooked smoked chicken breast)
- ¼ cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 250 grams of sour cream or crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of finely chopped "greens" I use broccoli or spinach or kale and chop in the food processor
- Preheat your oven to 175C/347F
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a hot fry pan until softened, but not brown
- set aside and allow to cool
- In a large bowl, add the chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped chicken, herbs, sour cream or crème fraiche, "greens and salt and pepper stir until well combined.
- Once onion & garlic mix has cooled down, stir that into the chicken mix.
- Spray a 24cm flan dish with cooking spray or butter and place your filo sheets so you have spare filo overhanging all around your dish.
- Fill with the chicken mixture and bring the overhanging filo up to cover the top of the pie, try and scrunch some of the filo as you go, making sure the entire top of the pie is covered with filo
- Brush the top with melted butter or spray with cooking spray
- Bake for 30 minutes or until your filo is golden brown.