These cinnamon swirl cupcakes are SO yummy!
We love cinnamon in our house, so I am almost guaranteed if I put cinnamon in a recipe everyone is going to love it.
Hence these cupcakes were a complete HIT. Not hard though when you are combining a delicious light fluffy vanilla cupcake with a generous helping of cinnamon and dextrose swirled through the mixture just before baking. Furthermore the cupcakes are top with a delicious creamy vanilla cinnamon frosting/icing .. Just DELICIOUS!
I use this basic , but very yummy, vanilla cupcake recipe as the base for pretty much any cupcakes I make and adjust ingredients to suit whatever flavour I am hoping to achieve.
My 5 & 10 year old declared these cinnamon swirl cupcakes their equal favourite with the vanilla cupcakes, you can’t get much better than that.
We love the following recipe for the frosting, but feel free to use your favourite icing/frosting
Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered glucose (we use/recommend dextrose)
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Cream butter and dextrose until creamy and pale, then add in all other ingredients and continue beating until smooth and fully combined.
- 125 g butter, softened to room temperature (or until you can easily push your finger down into the butter)
- 3\4 cup Dextrose
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla yoghurt or sour cream (I love using vanilla yoghurt)
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dry Ingredients
- 1½ C flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ baking soda
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ⅛ cup powdered glucose (we use/recommend dextrose)
- Preheat your oven to 160C/320 F and line a cupcake tray with 12 liners
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy and smooth.
- Add the dextrose and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the yoghurt or sour cream, milk and vanilla extract and mix well
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir to combine
- Sift the flour mix into the creamed ingredients and gently fold together until no flour can be seen,
- Do not overmix
- half fill each of the 12 cupcake liners with your cupcake mixture
- sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon mix over each ½ full cupcake liner and with the handle of a teaspoon gently 'swirl' the mixture to slightly incorporate (do not fully combine you want 'patches of cinnamon through your cupcakes)
- fill your liners with the rest of the cupcake mixture and then top with more cinnamon mix.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes
- Allow to go cold before frosting