I know the title is a pretty bold statement. I mean seriously “Best Ever” but in my humble opinion this Tiramisu recipe really is!!
I first had the pleasure of trying Tiramisu when I was about 18 and working as a Nanny for a family in London. We went on holiday to a villa in the hills of Tuscany, Italy and they had a lovely lady doing the cooking for them and one day she made Tiramisu, well it was AMAZING and I was instantly in love with this creamy, velvety full of coffee and liqueur dessert.
From that time on, whenever I went to a restaurant which had Tiramisu on the menu, I would always order it. However a lot of times I was sadly disappointed with the version that I was served and slowing got to the stage where I did not order it anymore and that is when I started to make it myself for special occasions, generally Christmas at which time I often consider leaving it in the fridge so that I can enjoy it for several days rather than sharing with family!!
This version will not be for everyone and please don’t be put off by the amount of coffee and liqueur as it is not strong at all and if made 2 – 3 days before it is required, then all the flavors mingle and mellow and taste sensational. This may seem like a long time, but it is perfect to allow you to get on and organize other things without the last minute rush.
Or try these other delicious desserts like Chocolate Mousse Tart or Profiteroles
Yields 8 - 10
35 minPrep Time
12 hrTotal Time
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup powdered glucose or sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/4 cup of coffee liqueur or 4 tablespoons of rum
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ladyfinger biscuits
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Mix mascarpone into cooled yolk mixture until smooth.
- Then add cream mixture to the mascarpone and egg mixture and whisk until smooth
- In a bowl, combine coffee and liqueur.
- Dip ladyfingers in the coffee mixture one at a time
- Arrange soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7x11 inch dish, I layer thick
- Spread half of mascarpone & cream mixture over ladyfingers,
- Repeat layers until your dish if full
- sift cocoa thickly over the top layer.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, I leave mine for at least 24 hours
Recipe adapted from Tiramisu II
No Replies to "The Best Ever Tiramisu"