My 5 year old son used to eat a lot of tomato sauce prior to being sugar free, it was generally the only way I could get him to eat vegetables and even though I knew it had sugar in it, I reasoned that it was better to get the nutritious vegetables into him without World War 3 taking place.
Commercial tomato sauce is FULL of sugar and don’t be fooled by the latest attempts companies are using to jump on the less sugar bandwagon. Statements such as 50% less sugar! Check out the labels there is still way too much sugar!
We actually don’t eat tomato sauce as a condiment anymore, but enjoy it as a base for certain meals, such as We have this with pasta, it’s the base sauce for my Hearty Sausage Casserole , you could even thin it down a little with little more stock and have it as soup.
I love this homemade tomato sauce, it is a little time consuming but really worth the extra effort. To speed things up you could make up a batch of caramalized onions in advance.
Make a double batch and freeze some for a quick meal.
- 2 large onions caramalized
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water or stock (beef, chicken or vege)
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic cloves
- I peeled grated apple
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan
- stir to combine and cook over a medium- low heat for 20-30 minutes until thickened
- You can blitz it with a stick blender to make a smooth sauce or leave it as is for a more rustic look.
No Replies to "Caramelized Onion & Tomato Sauce"