I have always loved hummus and used to buy it every week.
One day I decided it was much more convenient to make it when I wanted it. And I always have cans of chickpeas in the cupboard, plus I could customize it however I wanted to.
I know some people swear by using dried chickpeas and soaking them etc etc, but too be honest, I think the canned chickpeas are just as delicious and much less preparation and organisation required.
I can decide that I would like some hummus and five minutes later I have fresh delicious homemade hummus!
I have also used apple cider vinegar in place of lemon juice when I don’t have any fresh lemons and this tastes just as good, plus you get the extra health benefits that apple cider vinegar is known for.
I really like my hummus garlicky, but feel free to reduce or increase this to suit your own tastes.
Use this recipe as a base and play around with different flavours like pumpkin hummus, roasted red pepper and roasted garlic to name a few.
This makes about 1.5 cups and will last (if you don’t eat in all in the one day) up to 1 week in the fridge.
- 1 425g can of chickpeas (drained & rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon of each
- 2-4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan Salt (more or less to taste)
- 2- 4 tablespoons water
- sprinkle of ground paprika for serving (optional)
- In your food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for a few more seconds
- Add the chickpeas, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and salt to the tahini and lemon juice.
- Process until smooth, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then every now and then to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed.
- If the hummus is not as smooth as you would like, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time then blend until desired consistency is achieved
- I normally add about 4 tablespoons of water and blend everything for around 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with paprika just before serving
- Will keep in a covered container in the fridge for around a week