These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are moist and delicious not to mention sugar free , great as a lunch box filler or anytime. They are quick and easy to whip up, great if you have quests ring up and say they’re coming around.
I love citrus, four years ago I planted a variety of eight citrus trees in my orchard, I have two of all the citrus I love, Oranges, mandarins, lemons and one lemonade tree (my kids cannot wait until this starts producing, I think they are hoping it will taste like Sprite!) This is my first year that some of the trees are starting to produce and the Lemon trees are one of them.
So what better way to use up some of our delicious produce than to make these tasty muffins
Poppy seeds contain excellent levels of B-complex vitamins as well as iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium, so you are also including something good for you . Ha Ha! ok, these are not healthy and are still considered a treat!
If you want to try something different from lemon try these yummy blueberry muffins.
Delicious as they are or top with your favourite frosting/icing for an extra special treat.
Notes – For extra lemon flavour squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon into mix
- 225g self raising flour
- 175g dextrose
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 175g butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain sugar free yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 338°F/170C
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the eggs Beat well to incorporate
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture,Beat just until smooth.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.