Browned sausages cooked in a rich full of flavour tomato sauce, this sausage casserole really is comfort food at its best.
We don’t have sausages very often in our house, but when we do it’s either in Summer on the BBQ or in Winter as a base for recipes such as this.
The sauce requires a little time but it’s not too bad and the results are so much tastier and healthy than a jar of store brought tomato sauce, and if you make a double batch of the sauce and freeze it, all you have to do is defrost the sauce and you’re good to go!
This sauce is delicious with fresh tomatoes that are going cheap at the end of summer, but for ease I have just recommend canned tomatoes in the recipe, but certainly try fresh when you can.
Make sure you try to get a good quality sausage, as it really makes a lot of difference to the final taste.
Feel free to add in any additional vegetables, I love adding baby kale and spinach to ours. Delicious served with your favourite mash, we love it with Creamy Cauliflower Puree
- 7 - 10 of your favourite sausages (we use our local butchers award winning beef sausages)
- 2 large onions caramalized
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water or stock (beef, chicken or vege)
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅛ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic cloves
- I peeled grated apple
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the sausages and place aside
- Combine all other ingredients apart from greens, in a large saucepan
- stir to combine and cook over a medium- low heat for 20-30 minutes until thickened
- You can blitz it with a stick blender to make a smooth sauce or leave it for a more rustic look.
- pour sauce over browned sausages and place in casserole dish and cook in moderate oven for 30 mins once cooked stir through greens and serve