This healthy creamy carbonara sauce is so delicious, even people who don’t like cauliflower will love this!
Who doesn’t love a yummy creamy pasta carbonara sauce, but sometimes all the carbs and creamy sauce just feels a bit heavy! And quite frankly it’s not very good for you.
I really do love all those creamy pasta sauces, but I am also always looking at the nutrition angle, trying to reduce simple carbohydrates and getting as many vegetables into a dish as I can!
If this resonates with you, then think about getting yourself a spirilizer, you might think it’s one of those gimmicky gadgets that ends up in the back of kitchen draw or cupboard, ….think again try it! those things are pretty cool and can turn pretty much turn any vegetable into curly long awesome “pasta, spaghetti, noodles or whatever you like to call them. So you can still enjoy “PASTA or NOODLES without any guilt.
Then we take it one step further and turn that heavy sauce into a healthy creamy sauce that is soooo delicious, you can use it to replace any recipe that calls for a white sauce made with flour, we love it with this Gluten Free Fish Pie.
The things you can do with cauliflower is amazing, we use mainly it to replace potatoes and white sauces, but we have made pizza bases and love this General Tso’s Cauliflower when we are feeling like Chinese take out.
If you are not into making oodles of vege noodles, just use your favourite pasta and coat it with this creamy healthy delicious sauce.
Omit the bacon for a vegetarian option
- ½ of a large cauliflower
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup warm milk
- 4-6 rashers of bacon
- 1 onion finely chopped
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Baby spinach or kale
- Steam cauliflower until soft
- Sautee onion and garlic until soft,
- Saute bacon, set aside
- puree cooked cauliflower cheese, onion and garlic using stick blender or food processor
- then add sour cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg and blend until smooth
- put mixture into a saucepan and keep warm on stove and add more liquid until desired consistently is reached
- Stir bacon through sauce and just before serving I like to stir in baby spinach or kale but omit if not to your liking
- pour over noodles and stir until noodles/pasta are thoroughly coated in sauce