These really are the best ever savory muffins, they are moist, delicious and full of flavour, while being quick and easy to whip up!
Perfect for a weekend lunch if you have visitors coming over or simply, a tasty snack to enjoy anytime.
You can enjoy them warm or cold –I love them warm so the butter starts to melt, served with a really good relish or chutney on the side
This recipe always ensures a moist tasty muffin, which is EXACTLY what I require for a savoury muffin. I cannot stand a dry muffin whether savory or sweet.
I also love that if you have these the next day they are still lovely and moist.
Feel free to adapt as you like, you can throw in or leave out anything that you want to.
Delicious and moist, even the following day, just warm slightly and enjoy.
- Base recipe
- 1 small onion red or white chopped finely
- 3-4 rashers of bacon chopped finely
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 60 grams butter, melted
- 11/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Add any or all of the following or leave out completely
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup spinach, kale or silverbeet very finely chopped
- 3 finely chopped sundried tomatoes
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180
- Saute onion and bacon in a little oil until onion is tender.
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre. Stir in the cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk & melted butter, then tip into the dry ingredients along with the onion, bacon and other veges if using
- Fold together, until you cannot see any flour, do not overmix
- Place in well greased deep muffin tins. sprinkle with extra cheese and paprika
- Bake 20 - 30 mins until golden.