Carrot Cake is one of my all time favourite cakes.
I have had this recipe for a zillion years, I found it on Epicurious when I was living in London, footless and fancy free, an American friend told me about the site and I searched carrot cake recipes.
After reading numerous different recipes, I settled on this particular recipe and read about 100 reviews and tweaking the recipe as per different reviewers suggestions and to my preferences.
I think I have come up with the BEST EVER Carrot Cake recipe.
It is always so moist and delicious with the large amount of carrots and pineapple, and the lovely subtle hint of spices and fresh ginger make this cake stand way above other recipes. It also lasts well for a least a week (if you are lucky enough to have any left over that is)
This recipe never fails to impress, it is NEVER dry and the icing is so delicious.
This cake has been made numerous times over the years for family birthdays, as carrot cake happens to be my Mum and Dad’s favourite as well!
It was my birthday last week, so out came the trusted faithful recipe, and as always it did not disappoint. The only disappointment was when the last piece was being eaten!
Oh well it’s Father’s Day on Sunday, Perhaps the kids and I can make it again!!
Please try the fresh ginger in this recipe, it really elevates the cake to A-MAZ-ING!
I made the icing using this homemade cream cheese recipe, if you want to try it, just make sure to start it the day before!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups powered glucose (we use/ recommend Dextrose) or sugar if you are not Sugar Free
- 1 cups extra light olive oil
- ¾ cup of crushed pineapple
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups grated peeled carrots
- 1¼ cups coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoons minced peeled ginger/fresh ginger puree
- 10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 2½ cups dextrose or (powdered sugar if you are not sugar free)
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180C
- Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. (or you can make 1 deep cake)
- Line bottom of pans with waxed paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl, stir to combine
- Whisk dextrose and oil in large bowl until well blended
- Whisk in eggs 1 at a time.
- Stir in carrots, pineapple, walnuts and ginger, mix until completely combined
- Add flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans for about 15 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire racks to cool cakes completely.
- Remember to remove parchment paper from bottom of cakes
- ICING - Using a hand held electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy,
- Add dextrose and beat at low speed until well blended,
- Beat in rice malt syrup. Chill until just firm enough to spread,
- Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread with ¾ cup icing. Top with second layer. Spread remaining icing over entire cake.
- decorate if desired. ( the cake can be made 1 day before. )